Llandudno Junction, c 1900.
© National Railway Museum / Science & Society Picture Library -- All rights reserved
Llandudno Junction station on the London & North Western Railway, about 1900. The station was situated at the junction of the main London to Holyhead route along the north Wales coast, and the line south between Llandudno and Blaenau Ffestiniog. Engine and carriage sheds were built at Llandudno Junction to house locomotives and rolling stock used on these lines. The railway lines cross a road with a level crossing just outside the station. Level crossings were where railway track crossed a road. These crossings had gates over the road which closed when a train came, to stop vehicles and pedestrians getting in the way of the train.