Container at St Pancras goods yard, London, 1933.
© National Railway Museum / Science & Society Picture Library -- All rights reserved
M Type container on a lorry at St Pancras goods yard. These containers were made from steel and lined with wood, with a door at either end. They were ventilated with slats and were used for the transportation of meat. Containers had always been used by the railways. By the 1920s they were being used to transport goods from door to door without the goods having to be unpacked.