The vessel alongside the "Scotia" is a coaling tender. Holyhead had been used as a port since the medieval period and in Tudor times mail was brought there to be shipped to Ireland. It grew up when the railways arrived in the town in 1848 due to the increased trade to Ireland. At this time the London Midland & Scottish Railway owned two of Holyhead's harbours. By the 1920s however, the port was suffering from a decline in traffic. The SS Scotia was one of four used on the service between Holyhead and Dublin, the others being the SS Cambria, SS Anglia and SS Hibernia.
© National Railway Museum / Science & Society Picture Library -- All rights reserved