The SS 'Scotia' at Holyhead Harbour, Anglesey, c 1927.
© National Railway Museum / Science & Society Picture Library -- All rights reserved
Part of Holyhead harbour was owned by the London, Midland & Scottish Railway. The route between Holyhead and Dublin was the main route from Britain to Ireland and served both goods and passenger traffic. After a boom in the amount of traffic passing through the port in the late nineteenth century, the port suffered a decline during the inter war years. The SS Scotia was one of four used on the service between Holyhead and Dublin, the others being the SS Cambria, SS Anglia and SS Hibernia.