Ash plant at Clifton power station, Lancashire, about 1915. The power station is powered by coal and the ash plant is where the ash from the coal is discharged. Clifton power station was built to provide electricity to power the Manchester to Bury railway line. The line was electrified between 1913 and 1916. Electric traction provided faster and more efficient services on this busy line.
© National Railway Museum / Science & Society Picture Library -- All rights reserved