Driver and fireman in the cab of a 4-4-0 locomotive number 421 on the North British Railway, about 1890. This locomotive was built at Cowlairs in 1873. The North British Railway company was formed in 1842, and its first line between Glasgow and Edinburgh opened in 1846. The company served southern Scotland and parts of Northumberland. The company was amalgamated into the London & North Eastern Railway in 1923.
© National Railway Museum / Science & Society Picture Library -- All rights reserved