Driver and fireman in the cab of a class G 2-4-0 locomotive number 238, about 1890. This locomotive ran on the North Eastern Railway and was built in 1869. The NER was formed in 1854. It served stations in Yorkshire, County Durham, Tyne and Wear, and Northumberland. It was amalgamated into the London & North Eastern Railway in 1923.
© National Railway Museum / Science & Society Picture Library -- All rights reserved