The station, designed by Lewis Cubitt, was built in 1850. It was the terminus for the Great Northern Railway. For the first two years the station dealt with private traffic, for example equipment being taken to Crystal Palace for the Great Exhibition, but opened to public traffic in 1852. The East Coast Main Line from King's Cross to Edinburgh was in the process of being electrified in the 1970s, to create a faster and more efficient service for people travelling into the station.
© National Railway Museum / Science & Society Picture Library -- All rights reserved