King's Cross Station, London, c 1853.
© National Railway Museum / Science & Society Picture Library -- All rights reserved
Illustration of the exterior of Kings Cross Station, produced by R B Fleming and Co Ltd. The station, designed by Lewis Cubitt and built in 1850, was the terminus for the Great Northern Railway. For the first two years the station dealt with private traffic, for example equipment being taken to Crystal Palace for the Great Exhibition, but opened to public traffic in 1852. Here, Queen Victoria is arriving to travel to York Races.