Hungerford Suspension Bridge, London, c 1850.
© National Railway Museum / Science & Society Picture Library -- All rights reserved
The bridge was built by Isambard Kingdom Brunel. It was originally built as a pedestrian bridge over the River Thames to Hungerford market, to increase busines at the market. The bridge was later rebuilt in 1859 because the South East Railway company wanted a railway bridge for the new Charing Cros Station.