Paddington was originally built from wood in 1838 as a temporary structure but was soon rebuilt in stone in the 1850s, designed by Isambard Kingdom Brunel (1806-1859) and Matthew Digby Wyatt. The station has been extended several times to provide more platforms and a larger entrance. The station was originally built to serve broad gauge trains. However by 1861 both broad and standard gauge trains used the station, and after 1892 it had only standard gauge track. From an archive of about 400,000 photographic negatives from various British Railways and constituent companies' photographic collections, formerly known as the OPC (Oxford Publishing Company) Collection.
© National Railway Museum / Science & Society Picture Library -- All rights reserved