Items used during the construction of the Bell Rock Lighthouse, c 1810.
© Science Museum / Science & Society Picture Library
Engraving showing the horse and cart used to convey the finished stones from the workshops to the harbour in Arbroath, the wooden patterns to which some of the stones were cut and the trainer used to confirm the accurate positioning of the blocks. On the right are details of the equipment associated with the rail system used to bring the stones from the landing stage to the base of the lighthouse. Also featured is the lamp used in the Light Ship. Illustration from 'An account of the Bell Rock Light-house: including the details of the erection and peculiar structure of that edifice' by Robert Stevenson (1772-1850), designer of the Bell Rock Lighthouse, published in Edinburgh in 1824.