Construction of the Bell Rock Lighthouse, 1810.
© Science Museum / Science & Society Picture Library
Engraving of the state of works as at the end of July 1810 showing the balance beam lifting a block to one of the parapet courses. The rope bridge between the lighthouse and the Beacon House has been replaced by a wooden structure connected to the lighthouse doorway at the twenty-seventh course. Illustration from 'An account of the Bell Rock Light-house: including the details of the erection and peculiar structure of that edifice; to which is prefixed a historical view of the institution and progress of the Northern Light-houses' by Robert Stevenson (1772-1850), designer of the Bell Rock Lighthouse, published in Edinburgh in 1824.