Beacon House on the Bell Rock, c 1807.
© Science Museum / Science & Society Picture Library
Engraving of the design of the Beacon House. The frame was built during the first construction season of 1807, and the house in 1808. The Beacon House acted as a warning beacon to shipping, as accommodation and as a refuge in bad weather. It later housed the forge, and mortar was prepared in the Mortar Gallery. Plans for the other three enclosed levels are also shown. In September 1812 the Beacon House was dismantled once the stone lighthouse was built. Illustration from 'An account of the Bell Rock Light-house: including the details of the erection and peculiar structure of that edifice' by Robert Stevenson (1772-1850), designer of the Bell Rock Lighthouse, published in Edinburgh in 1824.