Engraving of the lighthouse designed by Robert Stevenson (1772-1850) and opened in 1811. It was built of granite on rocks which were submerged by the tide twice a day, an impressive feat of engineering. The lighthouse, 10 miles off the coast of Scotland, prevents ships being wrecked on the rocks, and has lasted into the 21st century. Illustration from Stevenson's 'An account of the Bell Rock Light-house: including the details of the erection and peculiar structure of that edifice; to which is prefixed a historical view of the institution and progress of the Northern Light-houses', published in Edinburgh in 1824.
© Science Museum / Science & Society Picture Library