Improved compound microscope (Fig 2), and Culpeper's, or the three-pillared microscope (Fig 3). Designed by instrument maker Edmund Culpeper (c 1670-1738), this type of stand for microscopes, consisting of a tripod carrying the main body, standing on another tripod carrying the stage, was adopted by many 18th century makers. Illustration from 'Essays on the microscope' by George Adams (1750-1795), published in London in 1787. Adams was instrument maker to King George III.
© Science Museum / Science & Society Picture Library