the E28/39 was built by the Gloster Aircraft Co Ltd, and it's chief designer was W G Carter. The E28/39 lifted off briefly while doing taxying trials in April 1941 and made its first true flight of 17 minutes at Cranwell in May. It had a long research career during the Second World War flying with several different jet engines. Today, it is in the Science Museum, London, alongside the W1 engine, designed by Frank Whittle, which powered it for the first jet flight in Britain.
© Science Museum / Science & Society Picture Library