'View of the suspension bridge erected at Conway, North Wales - looking towards the castle'. On the left is Conwy (formerly Conway) Castle, and on the right is the Conwy Castle Bridge, a steel suspension bridge designed by Thomas Telford (1757-1834). The bridge, which spans the River Conwy, was part of improvements to the road which took the mail between Ireland and the north of England. The gravity-anchored chain suspension bridge was built between 1822 and 1826. Illustration from 'An historical and descriptive account of the suspension bridge constructed over the Menai Strait …' by W A Provis (1792-1870), published in 1828.
© Science Museum / Science & Society Picture Library