'View of the suspension bridge erected over the Menai Strait in North Wales - looking towards Plasnewydd and Caernarvon'. The bridge connecting the Isle of Anglesey and the Welsh mainland was designed by Thomas Telford (1757-1834) and was built between 1818 and 1826, replacing the ferry. It opened on 30 January 1826. The bridge was part of the Holyhead-London road which carried the post between London and Ireland. Illustration from 'An historical and descriptive account of the suspension bridge constructed over the Menai Strait …' by W A Provis (1792-1870), published in 1828.
© Science Museum / Science & Society Picture Library