Flying Scotsman locomotive in the snow, 2016.
© National Railway Museum / Science & Society Picture Library
The newly restored Flying Scotsman locomotive in the snow in the National Railway Museum's North Yard, March 2016. Flying Scotsman was originally built in Doncaster for the London and North Eastern Railway (LNER), emerging from the works on 24 February 1923 and initially numbered 1472. It was designed by Sir Nigel Gresley as part of the A1 class ' the most powerful locomotives used by the railway. By 1924, when it was selected to appear at the British Empire Exhibition in London, the loco had been renumbered 4472 ' and been given the name 'Flying Scotsman' after the London to Edinburgh rail service which started daily at 10am in 1862. In 1928, the Flying Scotsman hauled the first ever non-stop London to Edinburgh service on 1 May, reducing the journey time to eight hours. In 1934, Scotsman was clocked at 100mph on a special test run ' officially the first locomotive in the UK to have reached that speed. The National Railway Museum acquired the locomotive in 2004 and restoration began in 2006. Photography by Dan Clarkson, staff member.