On the left is Conwy (formerly Conway) Castle, and on the right is the Conwy Castle Bridge, a steel suspension bridge designed by Thomas Telford (1757-1834). The bridge, which spans the River Conwy, was part of improvements to the road which took the mail between Ireland and the north of England. The gravity-anchored chain suspension bridge was built between 1822 and 1826. Below is a plan of the site. Illustration from Telford's 'Atlas to the Life of Thomas Telford, civil engineer', published in London in 1838.
© Science Museum / Science & Society Picture Library