Diagram of the suspension bridge over the Menai Straits between Carnarvon on the right (now Gwynedd) and the Isle of Anglesey (left). Also shown: manner of securing the ends of the main chains on both sides; plan at the level of the springing of the stone arches; plan at the level of the finished roadway; suspended roadway; toll house. The bridge connecting the Welsh mainland with Anglesey was designed by Thomas Telford (1757-1834) and was built between 1818 and 1826, replacing the ferry. The overall length of the bridge is 1000 feet and the central span measures 579 feet. It opened on 30 January 1826. Illustration from Telford's 'Atlas to the Life of Thomas Telford, civil engineer', published in London in 1838.
© Science Museum / Science & Society Picture Library