Plan of St Katharine's Docks, London, 1838.
© Science Museum / Science & Society Picture Library
Map showing docks on the north bank of the River Thames near the Tower of London. Used for over 1,000 years, the area included a brewery, a hospital and the 12th century church of St Katharine. In 1828 a new docklands development, designed by Thomas Telford (1757-1834), was built. The Docks were finally closed in 1968 by the Port of London Authority. The area was converted into shops, restaurants, offices, luxury apartments and a marina. Illustration from Thomas Telford's (1757-1834) 'Atlas to the Life of Thomas Telford, civil engineer', published in London in 1838.