Diagram in plan and section of the sea lock on the Caledonian Canal, designed by Thomas Telford (1757-1834). The lock was part of a dock or basin at the north-eastern end of the canal, on the shore of Loch Beauly. The complex at Clachnaharry served as a harbour for the vesels using the canal. Illustration from Thomas Telford's (1757-1834) 'Atlas to the Life of Thomas Telford, civil engineer', published in London in 1838.
© Science Museum / Science & Society Picture Library