Isometrical perspective view of the 'ancient Uriconium or Viroconium', discovered at Wroxeter near Shrewsbury in 1788. Viroconium was the Roman name for the city now occupied by the village of Wroxeter. Thomas Telford (1757-1834) built a road from Shrewsbury to Ironbridge which ran through Wroxeter where he excavated the Roman remains. Illustration from Telford's 'Atlas to the Life of Thomas Telford, civil engineer', published in London in 1838.
© Science Museum / Science & Society Picture Library