Engraving by R Page published in about 1820, of the Dorset Garden Theatre (also known as the Duke's Theatre), designed by Christopher Wren (1632-1723) and opened in 1671. The theatre was built beside the River Thames, in Dorset Garden at Whitefriars, and could be reached by boat. The playwright Aphra Behn (1640-1689), who wrote several of the plays which where performed there, lived close by in Dorset Street. The theatre was demolished in 1709. Illustration from 'Encyclopaedia Londinensis, or, Universal Dictionary of Arts, Sciences, and Literature' published in London, 1810-1829.
© Science Museum / Science & Society Picture Library