Engraving by J Pass after Denon, showing a ruined temple at Idfu or Edfu on the River Nile. Ptolemy III and Ptolemy IV built a large sandstone temple to the god Horus here. The Greeks identified Horus with their god Apollo, thus the site was also known as Apollinopolis Magna. Illustration from 'Encyclopaedia Londinensis, or, Universal Dictionary of Arts, Sciences, and Literature' published in London, 1810-1829.
© Science Museum / Science & Society Picture Library