'Ludlow, Reader's House', c 1880.
© National Media Museum / Science & Society Picture Library
A photographic view of the Reader's House in Ludlow, Shropshire, published by Francis Bedford & Co. The Reader's House was built in 1555. Its striking porch, dating from 1616, makes it one of the most interesting features of the town. Originally built by bookseller John Dalton, the Ludlow Corporation decided in the early eighteenth century that it should become the official residence of the parish Reader, hence the name. Bedford (1816-1894) was a prolific and well-respected photographer, best known for his numerous topographic and architectural views of Britain. He was asisted by his son, William (1846-1893) whose work is almost indistinguishable from that of his father.