'Tewkesbury, Bell Hotel', c 1880.
© National Media Museum / Science & Society Picture Library
A photographic view of the Bell Hotel in Tewkesbury, Gloucestershire, published by Francis Bedford & Co. The hotel was built on the site of the guest house of the old Benedictine monastery, founded in the 11th century. The Tudor-fronted building dates back to the 16th century but was rebuilt in 1696 following a fire. It is thought that the hotel probably got its name from the curfew bell in the tower of nearby Tewkesbury Abbey. Bedford (1816-1894) was a prolific and well-respected photographer, best known for his numerous topographic and architectural views of Britain. He was asisted by his son, William (1846-1893) whose work is almost indistinguishable from that of his father.