'Leamington, The Town Bridge', c 1880.
© National Media Museum / Science & Society Picture Library
A photographic view of the Victoria Bridge joining the two parts of Royal Leamington Spa, published by Francis Bedford & Co. The opening of the bridge in 1809 prompted the development of the New Town north of the River Leam where the Pump Room and Public Baths were opened in 1814. Bedford (1816-1894) was a prolific and well-respected photographer, best known for his numerous topographic and architectural views of Britain. In 1857 Bedford became a member of the Photographic Society. During the 1860s and 1870s Bedford travelled extensively throughout Britain, taking hundreds of views of British scenery. He was asisted by his son, William (1846-1893) whose work is almost indistinguishable from that of his father.