'Hereford, Broad Street and Free Library', c 1880.
© National Media Museum / Science & Society Picture Library
A photographic view of Broad Street, Hereford with the Free Library on the left, published by Francis Bedford & Co. The library was built in 1873 and opened, with a huge celebration and feast for the local school children, in October 1874. Described as 'Anglicised Venetian Gothic', it was designed by F R Kempson. On the right are Lilley's Haircutting Rooms, with the 14th-century spire of All Saints' Church in the distance. Bedford (1816-1894) was a prolific and well-respected photographer, best known for his numerous topographic and architectural views of Britain. He was assisted by his son, William (1846-1893) whose work is almost indistinguishable from that of his father.