A photographic view of the Old House in High Town, Hereford, published by Francis Bedford & Co. In 1862, all the buildings surrounding this house were demolished to allow traffic to pas more easily. This building was left standing as a fine example of seventeenth century architecture. The shop displays buckets, watering cans, tin baths and earthenware bottles. Bedford (1816-1894) was a prolific and well-respected photographer, best known for his numerous topographic and architectural views of Britain. During the 1860s and 1870s Bedford travelled extensively throughout Britain, taking hundreds of views of British scenery. He was asisted by his son, William (1846-1893) whose work is almost indistinguishable from that of his father.
© National Museum of Science & Media / Science & Society Picture Library