A photographic view of the west front of Tintern Abbey, published by Francis Bedford & Co. The Abbey was founded in the twelfth century by Cistercian monks, and sits next to the River Wye. It was the first Cistercian foundation in Wales and only the second in Britain. Bedford (1816-1894) was a prolific and well-respected photographer, best known for his numerous topographic and architectural views of Britain. In 1857 Bedford became a member of the Photographic Society and in 1862 he accompanied the Prince of Wales, the future Edward VII (1841-1910), as official photographer on a tour of the Middle East. He was asisted by his son, William (1846-1893) whose work is almost indistinguishable from that of his father.
© National Museum of Science & Media / Science & Society Picture Library