Daguerreotype by Alexander John Ellis (1814-1890) of part of the the Campo dei Miracoli or 'Field of Miracles' which includes the cathedral and the famous Leaning Tower. According to legend, the Campo Santo or cemetery was built on the site where returning crusaders placed soil they brought back from the Holy Land. Between Easter 1840 and the summer of 1841, Ellis toured Italy, taking daguerreotype panoramas, landscapes and architectural views. In Rome, he worked with Achille Morelli and Lorenzo Suscipi, acquiring 45 daguerreotypes from them. In total, Ellis took or acquired 159 daguerreotypes. He intended to publish engravings made from these as a book entitled 'Italy Daguerreotyped', but the project was never realised.
© National Museum of Science & Media / Science & Society Picture Library