A daguerreotype of the Campanile beside the cathedral in Florence, Italy, by Alexander John Ellis. The Campanile or bell-tower was built beside the Duomo, the Cathedral of Santa Maria Del Fiore, in the early fourteenth century. Also known as the Campanile di Giotto, after the architect Giotto di Bondone [c 1267-1337] who designed it, the tower is the most striking feature of any view of the city. Ellis toured Italy in 1841, taking daguerreotype panoramas, landscapes and architectural views. In Rome, he worked with Achille Morelli and Lorenzo Suscipi, acquiring 45 daguerreotypes from them. In total, Ellis took or acquired 159 daguerreotypes. He intended to publish engravings made from these as a book entitled 'Italy Daguerreotyped', but sadly the project was never realised.
© National Museum of Science & Media / Science & Society Picture Library