A photograph of Profesor Alexander Fleming [1881-1955] and Lady Amalia Fleming [1909-1986] boarding an aeroplane, taken by an unknown photographer for the Daily Herald newspaper in 1954. The couple are photgraphed at London airport, Heathrow, Middlesex, on their way to Paris. Fleming retired from his post as head of the Wright-Fleming Institute of Microbiology at St Mary's Hospital, Paddington, at the end of 1954, but continued research at the hospital, asisted by his wife. Fleming met his second wife, the future Lady Fleming, when they worked together at the Wright-Fleming Institute in 1946. They married in 1953. This photograph has been selected from the Daily Herald Archive, a collection of over three million photographs. The archive holds work of international, national and local importance by both staff and agency photographers.
© NMeM / Daily Herald Archive / Science & Society Picture Library