Battersea Power Station chimney, 1934.
© Science & Society
A photograph of a chimney at Battersea Power Station in London, taken by Tomlin for the Daily Herald newspaper on 17 January, 1934. The man on the gantry provides a sense of scale. Designed by the architect Sir Giles Gilbert Scott (1880-1960), Battersea Power Station was built to help rationalise London's haphazard electricity supply system. The station began producing electricity for the capital in 1933, and continued in service until 1983. The site has lain derelict ever since.