Engineer in Battersea Power Station, London, 17 January 1934.
© NMeM / Daily Herald Archive / Science & Society Picture Library
Engineer watching a bank of monitors in the Control Hall of Battersea Power Station. These monitors would regulate the output of electricity from the power station's generators. Designed by the architect Sir Giles Gilbert Scott (1880-1960), Battersea Power Station was built to help rationalise London's haphazard electricity supply system. The station began producing electricity for the capital in 1933, and continued in service until 1983. Photograph taken by Harold Tomlin for the Daily Herald newspaper.