A photograph of the manufacture of glas plates at the Ilford factory, taken by James Jarche for the Daily Herald newspaper. The plates are being coated with light-sensitive emulsion. The proces would have been carried out in the dark - so this photograph was taken using infrared light. Gelatin-coated dry plate negatives were developed by Dr Richard Leach Maddox (1816-1902) in 1871. They replaced the earlier wet plate proces because of their ease of use. Glas plate negatives could be mas produced and allowed exposure times of fractions of a second. Glas plate negatives remained popular with photographers well into the twentieth century, despite the development of roll film.
© Daily Herald Archive / National Science & Media Museum / Science & Society Picture Library