Man checking an automatic telephone exchange, 1933.
© NMeM / Daily Herald Archive / Science & Society Picture Library
A photograph of a man checking an automatic telephone exchange at the Post Office Telephone Research Station in Dollis Hill, London, taken by James Jarche for the Daily Herald newspaper on 9 January, 1933. At the time, the Post Office held a monopoly in its operation of the UK telephone system. Opened in 1933, the Telephone Research Station carried out cutting-edge research into electronics and communications, including early work on Collosus - the world's first programmable electronic computer.