A photograph of four small children playing with cut grass in a field and waving for the camera, taken by James Jarche for the Daily Herald newspaper on 11 July, 1932. These smiling children are playing at the Children's House, Bow, in London's East End. The house was a pioneering creche and nursery for the poor children of the area. It was opened in 1923 by the author H.G. Wells (1866-1946). The Children's House was run by the sisters Muriel (1883-1968) and Doris Lester (1886-1965). The sisters were commited Christians who campaigned for world peace - and did much good work to help the poor of the East End.
© NMeM / Daily Herald Archive / Science & Society Picture Library