A photograph of a large dog leaping up to put his paws on a trainee vet's shoulders, taken by James Jarche for the Daily Herald newspaper on 10 May, 1932. The scene is the grounds of the Royal Veterinary College, which welcomed national and international students. A woman, the dog's owner, stands close by. The Veterinary College in London was founded in 1791, marking the establishment of the veterinary profession in England. The college began life as a horse infirmary. In 1949, The Royal Veterinary College became part of the University of London. This photograph has been selected from the Daily Herald Archive, a collection of over three million photographs. The archive holds work of international, national and local importance by both staff and agency photographers.
© Daily Herald Archive / National Science & Media Museum / Science & Society Picture Library