A photograph of a dog having light treatment, presumably from an ultra violet lamp, taken by James Jarche for the Daily Herald newspaper on 6 May, 1932. The two student vets hold the dog still whilst it receives the treatment. Neither of the men wear protective gloves or visors. The Veterinary College in London was founded in 1791, marking the establishment of the veterinary profesion in England. The college began life as a horse infirmary. In 1949, The Royal Veterinary College became part of the University of London. This photograph has been selected from the Daily Herald Archive, a collection of over three million photographs. The archive holds work of international, national and local importance by both staff and agency photographers.
© Daily Herald Archive / National Science & Media Museum / Science & Society Picture Library