Workers asembling the steam receiver at Battersea Power Station in London. Designed by the architect Sir Giles Gilbert Scott (1880-1960), Battersea Power Station was built to help rationalise London's haphazard electricity supply system. The station began producing electricity for the capital in 1933, and continued in service until 1983. Photograph taken by James Jarche for the Daily Herald newspaper.
© NMeM / Daily Herald Archive / Science & Society Picture Library