A photograph of miners looking after their pit horses at the Powell Duffryn Colliery, South Wales, taken by an unknown photographer for the Daily Herald newspaper in June 1931. Pit horses pulled heavy wagons to and from the coalface. Horses were often stabled underground. The South Duffryn colliery opened in 1862 at Pentrebach near Merthyr Tydfil. It was latter bought out by Powell Duffryn Ltd, before closing in 1940. This photograph has been selected from the Daily Herald Archive, a collection of over three million photographs. The archive holds work of international, national and local importance by both staff and agency photographers.
© Daily Herald Archive / National Science & Media Museum / Science & Society Picture Library