British Mark A tank surrounded by wounded allied soldiers, taken by an unknown photographer in about 1917, during World War One. The Mark A tank, nicknamed the Whippet, was introduced in 1917. The full caption reads: 'Many of the tanks put out of action were used as shelters for the wounded.' This photograph is from an album called 'Official Australian War Photographs', produced by the Australian War Records Section which was established by the British government in 1917. The British government in World War One recognised the importance of photographs, both as propaganda and as historical records, and tried to avoid the crude jingoism of the earlier Boer War propaganda.
© NMeM / Kodak Collection / Science & Society