Whitby Harbour, North Yorkshire, c 1905.
© NMeM / Kodak Collection / Science & Society
Photograph by Frank Meadow Sutcliffe (1853-1941) of the harbour edge with the town beyond. This photograph was taken on the sands just a bit further along the front from Coffee House Corner. In the background is the East Cliff with St Mary's Church on the horizon. Sutcliffe is best known for his naturalistic and spontaneous style of photography, especially his portrayals of Whitby's fishing community. He was a founder member of The Linked Ring Brotherhood and was made an Honorary Fellow of the Royal Photographic Society in 1941.