Whitby Abbey, North Yorkshire, c 1905.
© NMeM / Kodak Collection / Science & Society
Photograph by Frank Meadow Sutcliffe (1853-1941). The ancient ruins of the Abbey dominate the East Cliff of Whitby and have long been used as a landmark by seamen. This has been a religious site since 656 AD when King Oswy of Northumberland founded St Hilda's Saxon monastery. The early building was destroyed by Vikings and was refounded in 1077. Sutcliffe is best known for his naturalistic and spontaneous style of photography, especially his portrayals of Whitby's fishing community. He was a founder member of The Linked Ring Brotherhood and was made an Honorary Fellow of the Royal Photographic Society in 1941.