Dwight D Eisenhower
©National Railway Museum/ Science & Society Picture Library
This locomotive was designed by Sir Nigel Gresley and built at Doncaster works for the London & North Eastern Railway. It was originally named Golden Shuttle, but was renamed in 1945, in honour of General Eisenhower's role in the Allied victory in the Second World War. The locomotive is now on display in a museum in Wisconsin.