Passengers waiting alongside a train at platform 9 at Liverpool Street station, London, 15 August 1962. The station was built in 1875 as the London terminus of the Great Eastern Railway. It was designed by the company architect, Edward Wilson, and the ironwork, made by Fairbairns of Manchester, imitated the delicate tracery of a Gothic cathedral. In the late-1950s and early-1960s steam locomotive services were gradually replaced following electrification."
©National Railway Museum/ Science & Society Picture Library